Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sitting Female





This is the third and final piece from my class at the Torpedo Factory. I had a really good experience, and I'm definitely thinking about taking other classes.

I feel the need to make increasingly larger pieces as time goes on. I really like working with wax sometimes, like for the spiral woman for example, but clay is definitely my favorite medium. I like the way it feels, the way it smells, the way it moves, and the way you can change its plasticity by adding water or drying it. Its such an old and basic material, and there are so many accumulated techniques for working with it. There are techniques for building, throwing, drying, joining; you can even have an effect on it at a molecular level just using your hands by aligning the little platelets. If only I had a kiln. Some day.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried building your own kiln? That might be a fun project in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has totally occurred to me as a possibility. My current living situation is not very compatible with building a home-made kiln, however. The website instructables.com has some cool articles on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/galaxy-tab-infineon-rf-chip-contains-fantastic-silicon-art-20110315/

    ReplyDelete