Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Artist Statement

My major art project right now is a drawing of a minotaur.  I even wrote a poem to go along with it. Before I post anything about it, though, I want to do a post about my Artist Statement.

I've put a lot of work into the Artist Statement so far, but there is still more to do.  As it turns out, the Fireside Manifesto thing was a helpful exercise in getting my thoughts together.  I still had to do a few preliminary writing sessions to find a theme that I liked, though. 

I went to Starbucks a few weeks ago and wrote out the first real draft.  After revising it myself I sent it to my good friend Jenevieve, who did a great job of giving me suggestions.  I want to have a another good draft done this week to send to anyone who will look at it. 

The goal is to be artful, but not overblown; conceptual, but logical and deliberate. I also tried to be original by bringing Literature into the discussion. I'm hoping that the statement will be interesting for the evaluators to read, after looking at so many essays from undergraduate art majors. I'm still deliberating on whether to post the whole statement on this blog or not.

I just started reading a book called "Art and Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland.  Its about what goes into the artistic process.  Its really interesting, and I think that I may have to finish it before finishing the Artist Statement.  It was recommended to me from a few sources. From what I have read so far, I would recommend it myself.

*Edit: added author's names.

2 comments: