Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sketches 3



The last two are from the Basic Drawing class at the Torpedo Factory. I'm really enjoying starting from the basics and learning to draw from the ground up.

The way I see things is-- most often when you want to learn something, you need to put yourself out of your comfort zone. This will quickly expand your horizons. In any case, most things aren't as hard as they look, and once you've done something once it is much easier to do again. Things that seem undoable become less intimidating.

On the other hand, sometimes you need to go back to the basics and be patient and humble enough to pay close attention to
things you have known for a long time. Taking this drawing class, and re-learning things like value and perspective, has been a great experience. There is always more to learn, even on
the most basic level.

1 comment:

  1. I think that charcoal drawings seem to really capture/ express your spirit. Charcoal drawings seem so free and fluid yet still retain structure and control. There's something about this medium that just says "Joel" to me.
    I love drawing with charcoal and this really makes me want to draw again. I really like all of the drawings you've posted in this and the next post. I'm really impressed!

    ReplyDelete