Monday, August 6, 2012

Metal Skeleton Update


I've made a lot of progress on the metal sculpture.  These are my current ideas on where the piece is going:  I have an idea of how to make pelvic bones for him, and I will make them next class. I've already made a rib cage, I just haven't attached it yet.  I'm thinking that he might not have any feet.  We'll see.  The idea for the head, at the moment, is to attached a gas mask.  I think that that would look really cool.  I want to finish the surface somehow, either by giving it texture with an angle grinder, or some kind of patina.  I will attach the chain to his arm next class, so he can hold a flower pot.  I want to make some kind of heart for him, and maybe some veins as well.

So far, I'm pretty happy with this little guy.  It has been my goal from early on to make larger and larger sculptures.  This is undoubtedly the largest, and most expensive, piece that I have ever made.

11 comments:

  1. I'll buy it for tree fiddy.

    Sincerely,
    Former Prince of Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't trust this Former Prince of Nigeria. Let me tell you why. I finally got the nerve to call him up last week. He's been asking about my work for a while, thought I owed him lunch at least. Started out pleasant. Salad, bread, small talk, lobsters stuffed with tacos. About halfway through the lunch, he starts to talk business. New art museums, monuments to human achievement and potential, etc. All this sounds good, but I ask him-- how are you going to pull this off? I'm not interested in words, I'm interested in stone and mortar, I say. He says-- you can do anything with enough money. Good segue to buying my work. Well, I asked, how much are you willing to pay me? He goes "I'll buy it for about tree fiddy." It was about that time that I noticed that this impressive former Nigerian prince was about 8 stories tall, and was a monster from the paleolithic era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paleolithic? More like pay thee O' lyric.
    I write rhymes for a living. Dyeing ideas with words to create a meaning.
    Typing questions without answers with an answer to all questions.
    How are you going to make more cents? By constructing perception? Will giving free man a function relieve your mind of all tension?
    In this world to chase paper, you create worlds out of paper.
    Paper, clay, and steel with plenty of ones and zeros to create swarms of heroes. Sounds like leisure, looks like treasure.

    A small delivery of an observed history that completes your obscure requested for a lyrical mystery...? I think we both agree, wholeheartedly, that no effort is free so give a tip of tree fiddy.

    Sincerely,
    -The Board of Bored Babbling Bards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excelente, no podía hacer nada mejor

      -Salvador Mali

      Delete
    2. Vraiment une œuvre d'art. J'en ai les larmes aux yeux.

      -Vincent Mini-van Gogh

      Delete
    3. Motha Fucking Brilliance.

      -Samuel M. Jackson

      Delete
  4. Dio mio. Sono benedetta a vedere l'arte come nella mia vita.

    -Leonardo da Caprio

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you.

    - Fredrick Neat Cheese

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tired of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking sculpture!

    -Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  7. The proper study of mankind is man.

    -George Washington Proust Nietzsche Darwin Alighieri Frankenstein

    ReplyDelete