Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pitcher and Bowls


I've got some new photos of the metal sculpture, but I thought I'd do a pottery update first.  Still making my stuff a little thick, particularly around an inch before the foot.  Need to be more careful in the trimming stage.

The purple glaze doesn't seem to have had enough pigment, and shows the raw clay.  This was disappointing in the pitcher particularly because the divots in the side were supposed to allow the glaze to pool and change colors.  That's ok though-- with this type of pottery decoration you win some and you lose some.  You have to just leave it up to the glaze gods.

2 comments:

  1. you could try re-dipping and re-firing. could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen pots that have been re-dipped and fired? I remember Professor Turner saying that it is an option, but I don't know how it will turn out. Can't be worse than what I got on the pitcher, though. One problem is that the firing team is very conservative at the torpedo factory, and they might not want something that has glaze on top of glaze. I can ask.

    An alternative is to glaze it and then just bring it over to another firing location. Creative Clay is cheap and quick, and they do a good job. I might look into this.

    ReplyDelete