Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Birthday Presents and Guest Appearance

So I recently had a birthday, and got lots of great presents from friends and family.  Most of these presents were beer, but I also got an awesome marble turn-table from my friend Kristina.  It is perfect for displaying sculptures.

I thought that it would be appropriate if I used the turn-table to display another birthday present.  This brings me to the Guest Appearance for the day, which is my girlfriend Winnie.  She made this amazing little mushroom scene out of Play-Doh.  After making fun of her for using Play-Doh, I had to admire the composition of the scene. I like the texture of the floor, the interaction between the big and little mushrooms, and the tiny little blue flower.

Perhaps someday Play-Doh will take its rightful place as an officially recognized artistic medium, instead of retaining the diminutive stigmata that it has yet to throw off.  Perhaps pioneers like Winnie will be to Play-Doh what Dante was to Italian, or Chaucer to English.  Or, you know, maybe not. 

2 comments:

  1. oh you know, just some clay that expert professionals use. no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is what we call a master piece. Is it symbolic in some way? The big mushroom is Joel? The smaller one, Winnie? The blue flower a tiny playdoh flower?

    ReplyDelete